I have recently traveled to the USA with my husband for our autumn / winter holidays. Our first stop was New York City. It is the most densely populated city in the USA and it has a population of 8.5 million. New York City is one of the most famous cities worldwide and it has been described as the cultural, financial and media capital of the world. New York City consists of five boroughs – Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, The Bronx and Staten Island. I have recently read that there 800 languages are spoken in New York, which makes it the most linguistically diverse city in the world.
Many districts and landmarks in New York City are well known and 61 million tourists visited the city in 2016. There are many places worth visiting in New York. Please find a quick summary listed below:
- Empire State Building – a perfect way to see the city’s major highlights from the highest building in New York.
- Statue of Liberty – a colossal neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City.
- Grand Central Terminal – beautiful train station with a wide range of shops and eateries to relax in.
- Fifth Avenue – a famous shopping street with a range of boutique and high-street brands where you can shop until you drop.
- Times Square – exciting and colorful square that just cannot be missed. Sometimes referred to as the Crossroads of the World.
- Rockefeller Center (Top of The Rock experience) – an observatory on top of Rockefeller Center, with great city views.
- National Geographic Encounter: Ocean Odyssey – amazing entertainment experience in the heart of Times Square which uses ground-breaking technology that takes its attendees on a journey into the ocean. It is super interactive with escaping sea creatures and underwater maze. A perfect destination for a day out with a family especially if you have kids as everyone can experience being face-to-face with whales and sharks, squids or sea lions.
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum – an American military and maritime history museum. I especially enjoyed learning more about the Space Shuttle ‘Enterprise’ – the first space shuttle, a Cold War-era submarine Growler and British Airways Concorde, the world’s fastest commercial jet that can take passengers from London to New York in under 3 hours.
I hope you enjoyed reading this review.